Monk & Associates, Inc
We are a small environmental consulting firm in Walnut Creek, California, that provides biological consulting services to public and private sector clients through all stages of project entitlement and implementation. We are a Certified Women Business Enterprise. We work for housing developers, school districts, pipeline companies, utilities, open space districts, habitat conservation planners, and land banks. We collaborate with mitigation bankers and natural land trusts.
In business in Walnut Creek since 1992, M&A specializes in:
- Special-status plant and animal surveys (for endangered and threatened plant and animal species) as required to address environmental permitting concerns.
- Preparation of EIR/EIS biology sections pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Assisting project proponents (applicants) and/or lead agencies with preparation of biological constraints analyses (assessments)
- Preparing mitigation and monitoring plans and habitat restoration plans.
- Wetlands planning and permitting assistance pursuant to Sections 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act, and Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act (as administered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the California Regional Water Quality Control Board).
- Streambed Alteration Agreements pursuant to Section 1602 of the California Fish and Game Code (as administered by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife).
- Endangered species permitting (i.e., preparation of incidental take permit applications).
M&A has extensive experience designing and overseeing the construction of wetlands that include vernal pools, fresh and salt water marsh habitats, and stream channel enhancement wetlands.
SPECIAL-STATUS SPECIES SURVEY CAPABILITIES
M&A wildlife biologists and botanists conduct surveys for many special-status plant and animal species in California and the Pacific Northwest. M&A specializes in avian, mammalian, amphibian, botanical, and vernal pool invertebrate survey work and holds all necessary Federal authorizations, permits, and qualifications to conduct surveys for the species listed below. M&A also holds all necessary California permits for the species listed below. In addition to the species listed below, M&A can provide other personnel with the skills and capabilities to conduct surveys for most special-status species recognized by the resource agencies in California and the Pacific Northwest.
Special-Status Animal Species Survey Abilities
Vernal Pool Fairy Shrimp*
Longhorn Fairy Shrimp*
Conservancy Fairy Shrimp*
Vernal Pool Tadpole Shrimp*
California Tiger Salamander*
Foothill Yellow-Legged Frog*
Northern Red-Legged Frog
California Red-Legged Frog*
Western Spadefoot Toad
Western Pond Turtle
Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse*
San Joaquin Pocket Mouse
Kangaroo Rats (various species)
San Joaquin Kit Fox
Northern Spotted Owl
*Denotes that M&A is authorized under a federal 10[a][A] permit and/or a state Memorandum of Understanding to survey for and handle this species.